VMware Cloud Community
SCC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deployed Template = vm with double disk allocated

I am using vSphere 4.1 and ESXi 4.1 with current patches applied.

After creating a Template in the client and then deploying the vm using said template, I often (not always) find that the VM is provisioned with nearly twice as much disk space as the Template.

For Example:

Template is created with 20G Thin Single HD

After deploying a VM with Thin HD I see Provisioned: 40G, Not-Shared:14G, Used Storage: 14G (same as Not-Shared) in the Resources pane of the client interface.

Is this a cosmetic issue?

Any ideas if this is a problem and how/if it can be fixed?

Thanks

Don

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

SCC wrote:

.... Would this be the most likely culprit that would result in this problem?

This could most definitely be the problem.  That is the first place I would start.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you deploy from template are you using "Thin provisioned format".  The step in the deployment process under disk format has 3 options, depending on what you choose the new VM could end up thick.

0 Kudos
SCC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will double check and make sure that option is checked but am pretty sure it was. Would this be the most likely culprit that would result in this problem?

Additional info I realized I left off the first time is this happens solely with Windows OS based Templates (we also have Linux (CentOS 5.4) but have not seen the problem)

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

SCC wrote:

.... Would this be the most likely culprit that would result in this problem?

This could most definitely be the problem.  That is the first place I would start.

0 Kudos
SCC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy, that did the trick. Apparantly one of our folks was not aware that option had to be enabled during deployment and I assumed he was following the docs we made (silly me....)

0 Kudos