VMware Cloud Community
sommert
Contributor
Contributor

Deploy from template Windows 2008 64bit Server - BSOD After sysprep

Folks -

I have an ESXi 4.1 environment.  I have a Windows 2008 64bit R3 template.  If I clone it will boot up fine until you run sysprep.  After sysprep is run manually or via guest custommization wizard the VM reboots and bombs on skipping autochk , then BSOD, then just keeps rebooting.  sysprep is doing something to trash the VM.   Anyone run into this before?

Safemode, last known good,  all bomb as well.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sommert
Contributor
Contributor

Well - blew away the template and recreated it.  Cant duplicate the problem now.  Go figure.

0 Kudos
harryreed
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the exact same error after sysprep-ing a W2K8 R2 Std 64bit VM.  I have cloned an existing VM (fresh build + windows updates, but that's it), I then run sysprep with the generalise and shutdown options selected on the clone.  When I try to power it back on I get the exact same screens displayed as above.  Have tried it several times and each time the same error occurs after syspreping.  Anyone have any ideas?

I should mention that each time i've tried the clone was been performed whilst the VM was running.  Havent tried cloning whilst it is shutdown yet.

0 Kudos
harryreed
Contributor
Contributor

It appears to not like cloning from a running VM.  When I cloned from the VM when it was shutdown and then performed a sysprep with generalise and shutdown selected the resulting machine powers on without problem.

So to create a template from an existing W2K8 VM:

Shutdown to-be-cloned VM

Clone whilst shutdown

Startup clone and perform sysprep with generalise and shutdown options

Convert clone to template

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Ran into this yesterday.

2008 R2 server live cloned - clone booted up fine but then the sysprep occured and kaboom.  BSOD with the autochk missing error.

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In my experience, hot cloning of a Windows 2008 virtual machine doesn't work properly, resulting in a BSOD issue.
You have to use cold cloning or deploy from a Template.

Best Regards

Patricio Cerda

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
ubadog
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed by clearing nodefaultdriveletter volume attribute via:

use win2k8 iso to enter repair mode ...

run command prompt

diskpart

list volumes

select volume 1

attributes volume

attributes volume clear nodefaultdriveletter

good luck ...

0 Kudos
Hotstepper
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, ubadog.

Your solution works fine for me.

0 Kudos
jornlux
Contributor
Contributor

ubadog: Works like a charm !

Thanks for posting and saving us from multiple reinstalls !

0 Kudos