VMware Cloud Community
ttxn
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore on VI Client shows wrong data

I am not sure if this happen to your environment and I am trying to understand the root cause.

I use VI Client 2.0.2.50618 daily to manage my ESX 3.01/3.02 environment, one thing I keep an eye on is the Free Datastore in Summary tab. However, many times it shows the wrong size, unless I hightlight, right click, and select refresh.

So here is my questions:

1. Why

2. How often do the VI client refresh such data

3. Would I see any difference if I connect to ESX instead of VC server (will try and post answer here)

Thanks everyone.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
galday
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have an answer for your questions, but after upgrading to VC 2.5 / ESX 3.5 DataStore size seems to refresh properly, or at least better than before.

Regards.

0 Kudos
ttxn
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your quick input !! I do hope we can resolve it by upgrade but looks like it won't be in the near future.

We use a monitoring software internally to send pager alert for critial network performance, in this case, it sent out wrong alert.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using the perl toolkit to check the space available, there is a RefresshDatastore() method which will force a refresh of available space.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Easy fix would be to restart the mgmt service and the vc agent. Usually just restarting the management service will fix it.

At the ESX console type:

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

ttxn
Contributor
Contributor

Troy, thanks for reply, in your opinion, how often should I manually restart service?

I don't use Perl script here, we use sql script to query data from vmware DB in VC. Yesterday I played with veeam Reporter trail, and found the wrong data in its report, looks like as long as no refresh in VI client, the old datastore size stay there.

I wonder how often do VI refresh its datastore size.

Thx everyone.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

manually restarting the management service is something that does not need to done a a scheduled basis. I find that if there are weird inconsistancies with my enviornment, one of my troubleshooting steps is to restart the service.

Also, check your patches on your HOST servers and ensure they are updated with any critical patches.

hope this helps

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ttxn,

try this :

vimsh -n -e "internalsvc/refresh_datastores"

about 10 sec. later the VC client shows the updated datastores for that ESX.

We use it after adding or removing SAN LUN's. (esxcfg-rescan ... and then the command above) ...

Marvin

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

hey ttxn... Did you get your issue resolved?

if mine or any other responses were helpful or answered your questions, please consider awarding points.

0 Kudos
ttxn
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for the delay - I am waiting for the problem to occur in order to try both of your command.

0 Kudos
agulko
Contributor
Contributor

I am running the lates ESXi 3.5 and it still is broken - shows the wrong the data size. How do I make show the correct data size in VI ?

0 Kudos