VMware Cloud Community
pegasus00720111
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore Usage on Disk alarm - Question

We have a few VMs with LUNs dedicated to them (i.e. SQL VMs), formatted with VMFS and each one containing one vmdk file taking up most of the space on those LUNs (approx 99%).  Because of this, the Datastore Usage alarm always shows as critical for these disks.  Instead of having to reconfigure the alarm, which would effect how the alarm reports on our shared datastores, is there a way to disable the alarm for particular datastores?  There doesn't appear to be.  Also, for some reason on this particular alarm, once triggered, I do not see a way to reset the alarm status to green, only to acknowledge.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the only way I know of is to disable the vCenter level alarm and then create individual alarms on each datastore, setting whatever triggers you'd like.

pegasus00720111
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I was thinking that might be the only option.  Isn't this a common issue or annoyance though for those using VMs with VMFS LUNs attached for data storage, or are most using RDMs for this? Upon researching we had decided to stick with VMFS volumes and move away from RDMs.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

We use VMFS and have a couple LUNS that are constantly in alarm status, but we just deal with it, knowing they aren't going to increase in space used.

0 Kudos
dazp
Contributor
Contributor

If you're using vSphere, rather than create individual alarms against each datastore, put them into folders in the datastore view.  You can then create alarms at the folder level, meaning you'd probably only have to create 2 alarms.

0 Kudos