VMware Cloud Community
Gaprofittit
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore Permissions, need help.

I'm trying to find a way of restricting our development group to only using one datastore.

Here is the scenario:

They need the ability to clone within the cluster late at night, but I only want them
using one small datastore.  When I arrive in the morning I will move the VM to
the proper resource pool, check the settings, move the Vm to the proper storage.

Can I somehow give them the ability to clone but restrict them to seeing one datastore?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg A. Profitt

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello

Good morning from Canada

If you are cloning within the same datastore, yes you can give them permission to clone and remove any other permission from the other datastores.

If the clone is among Datastores, the user must have permission on the other datastores as well.

Regards

Gaprofittit
Contributor
Contributor

Bummer, they are on different datastores...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sir,

As stated in previous post... if it is different Datastore... your users need permission on the datastores in order to clone it.

Regards

0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you add permission to clone/modify VM on a single datastore (directly on the DS) user will be able to access only to that object and so will not able to see anything else or modify other objects.

Go to Role permission, create a specific role with the permission to clone and access to datastore, add the user than go to the datastore you want they use and add the specific group permission.

0 Kudos
VMGenie02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Depending how you have grouped your datastores, it may just  be a very quick single point access configuration i.e create a folder that will have the datastores you want them to be able to access then only grant permission to that.

0 Kudos