VMware Cloud Community
Saintly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Database requirements

Hi,

I am setting up my first VMware install and have a question about the database for vCenter.

I am running essentials plus and I have 3 servers and will have 8 VMs in them. If we double the VM count and add a little for a lot of growth lets say i have a total of 20 VMs on the 3 servers.

How big will the database potentialy get?

The reason i am asking is i didn't realise that i needed to get MS SQL Server too so i want to see if express (2005 or 2008) will cover it or if i need to go and beg for more money. My understanding is that 2005 will cover a 4 gb DB and 2008 will do 10gb. Will that be enough? Also, is there anything else that i have access to with my licence that will take up DB space?

On a side note, i'm surprised that the vCenter isn't a pre made VM running on linux that you just need to load. My understanding of the install procedure (assumeing that i am doing it correctly) is that i have to install ESXi on the servers, configure all of their ports and connect to my iSCSI SAN, then install windows server as a VM, install the DB, install vCenter and connect to it from vClient before i can get them to talk to each other as a HA group. It would be much easier if it was.. load ESXi on the servers, start the vCenter VM, finish the configuration from one place.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I did not do this with SQL 2008 Express yet, however it should work if you run the default installation of SQL 2008 Express + Management Studio Express, create an empty DB (e.g. VCDB), create the DSN and then install vCenter Server.

Don't forget to set the "Recovery Model" on the new DB. For SQL Express I usually choose "Basic".

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you will find in the documentation is:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express is intended to be used for small deployments of up to 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines.

I think you can start without the full SQL Server. I maintain a couple of small installations with SQL Express. They run without any issues.

If you are interested in the size of the SQL database, take a look at VMware's DB calculator at http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_4x_db_calculator.xls

André

Saintly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I ran the spread sheet and adjusted the number of hosts and VMs. I left the other numbers the same as i am only guessing as to what they are and reducing them only reduces the DB size and i want a worst case DB size.

It lists a potential DB size of 2.2gb and also a temp DB size of 2.2gb. does that mean that i need 4.4gb?

If i use the express DB, should i let the installer automaticly install 2005 or should i manualy setup 2008?

Is there a walkthrough for setting up 2008 express?

Thanks a lot.

Ian

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It lists a potential DB size of 2.2gb and also a temp DB size of 2.2gb. does that mean that i need 4.4gb?

From what I understand, the 4GB (10GB for SQL 2008) limit of SQL Express is per database.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/editions.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx

If i use the express DB, should i let the installer automatically install 2005 or should i manually setup 2008?

Is there a walkthrough for setting up 2008 express?

I didn't use SQL Express 2008 yet. All my smaller installations run on SQL Express 2005 which is installed with vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
Saintly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am thinking that i should install the SQL 2008 Express just for the larger DB size over 2005.

I have been unable to find anything about the configuration needed for useing it with vCenter.

Is it just a matter of installing the DB and then going to the ODBC program and creating a system DSN for that database?

Are there any custom settings that i need to do or is the defaults enough for it?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I did not do this with SQL 2008 Express yet, however it should work if you run the default installation of SQL 2008 Express + Management Studio Express, create an empty DB (e.g. VCDB), create the DSN and then install vCenter Server.

Don't forget to set the "Recovery Model" on the new DB. For SQL Express I usually choose "Basic".

André

0 Kudos