VMware Cloud Community
ISD_Plc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Database problem....

Ok so we had a problem with our DB server MSSQL 2005 64bit and we have had to move our VC db to another server (32bit 2005). Now all that has been done but when launching the vsphere client there is no configuration there? THe db appears to have it all though....

any suggestions?

cheers

Harvey

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you have updated your ODBC settings?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

0 Kudos
ISD_Plc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes done and double checked all logging in ok. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

we just went through a DB move not too long ago and the only thing we had to do was update our ODBC connection to point to the new SQL Server and DB instance.

You are pointing the vSphere Client to vCenter correct? Typically when you see a blank instance of vCenter it is because the DB was initialized. Was there a backup of the DB made prior to the move?

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

since you moved your db have you recovered any orphaned users? Also if your database died how far back are you restoring from? Did you fo a full backup from the old sql box overwriting existing backups and them restore? ↲sorry if this is a bit disjointed i'm using a new phone ↲

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
ISD_Plc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it was backup first well not first but before the server was shutoff anyway. The databse is approx 30gb so definately not initialized i dont think plus i have recopied it across. I may copy the backup across and try a restore as well soon.

0 Kudos
ISD_Plc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

orphaned users? in sql? unfortunately the old server died so I had to just attach the files although I do have a backup I dont currently have the space to restore from it! may need to find a way round that though i'm thinking.

0 Kudos
daspeac
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, the response seems to be too late, but maybe it helps others. Hope it is accepted and not considered as spam. if you are still interested, I recommend that you try the file fix dbf program, it is a good solution, if you experience any difficulties with dbx files. This application also converts dbf files. Hope this helps

0 Kudos