VMware Cloud Community
Quigibo
Contributor
Contributor

DRS rule issue

I have a 3 VM load balanced Terminal Server cluster. Works great. Only problem, when I create a single DRS rule that configures these 3 VM's to be on seperate nodes, the check box on the DRS rule always unchecks itself and DRS never works. If I create 3 separate DRS rules, TS1 != TS2 , TS1 != TS3, and TS2 != TS3 is works great. Seems that DRS has a bug. Anybody else experience this situation?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Gregorio_J_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have this same problem. I wrote a DRS "Separate Virtual Machines" rule with these three servers, but when I come back to see this rule, the check box is always unchecked.

Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
Quigibo
Contributor
Contributor

You have to create 3 seperate rules.

Server1 is not with Server2

Server1 is not with Server3

Server2 is not with Server3

I would hate to have a 4 or 5 node cluster Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Gregorio_J_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But I think this must be a DRS bug, didn't you?

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

I have seen this bug as well.

I view it as a bug, because.... if DRS rules were design to only allow 2 VMs at a time, then why do they allow you to add more than 2 to the rule (and then the rule just disables itself)?

Seems incredibly inefficient to have to create separate rules for pairs of two servers, when I should be able to create 1 rule with several servers.

I will submit this as a bug in the features request forum.

One thing to keep in mind when this is fixed is that for the number of VMs you are going to have in a single 'separate' rule, you must have that many ESX hosts in the licensed DRS cluster.

Jas

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any update on this? I am having the same problem. The funny thing is - this used to work! When I first setup the rules, I was able to create a 3-node rule. However, recently, we had to do some work on our ESX servers and disabled a bunch of rules so that we could put the ESX hosts into maintenance mode and allow the VMs to move whereever needed. Now I cannot re-enable the rules! They keep becoming unchecked.

I would love to know if anyone has solved this.

Thanks

SlickBag

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh yeah - on a side note...

The way they sort (or lack there of) the VM list when creating the rules is really quite annoying. I mean really - to not sort this list alpabetically is simply idiotic. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack when trying to add 2 VMs to DRS rule.

OK - that's my rant for the day Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

Oh yeah - on a side note...

The way they sort (or lack there of) the VM list when

creating the rules is really quite annoying. I mean

really - to not sort this list alpabetically is

simply idiotic. It's like trying to find a needle in

a haystack when trying to add 2 VMs to DRS rule.

OK - that's my rant for the day Smiley Happy

Perfectly acceptable rant. However, the PC phrase for idiotic is "opportunities for improvement" and that is what this particular forum is designed for.

Maybe this will be among the list of VC 2.1 and ESX 3.1 enhancements which nobody is willing to discuss right now...

I will PayPal someone $15 to provide me with the poup on the upcoming release notes. Come on, someone needs beer money right?

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good point. I will try to be more PC in the future Smiley Happy - they did just send me a Board Warrior shirt, so I guess I could be more "nice". ...LOL

Slick Bag

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone gotten an answer on this? We are about to implement DRS for several Exchange servers and I'm not looking forward to creating multiple rules.

Bill S.

0 Kudos