VMware Cloud Community
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor

DRS is enable automatic migrations never occured.

Hello, I just create a cluster (total 2 host, 8 cpu, 23GHz, memory 16GB) DRS enable, HA enable. no error message. as you can see on the jpg

All seams to be OK but just for testing, I move few VMs from host1 to host2 to create an imbalance (as you can see on the 2nd DRS chart)

problem is: DRS don't migrate automatically to balance CPU and memory.

What did I forget to do, have I a mistake ?

Thank's

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Themanwithanrx7
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have resource pools setup?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

With DRS level set to 4 and your current utilization I wouldn't expect any migrations.

0 Kudos
jygoman
Contributor
Contributor

How many vm do you have running on each host? If you have a few vm on each host and no resourse contraint like cpu\ram DRS won't balance them if it see's no unbalance. Does that makes sense?

0 Kudos
deploylinux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The best way to find out if there is anything wrong with your setup is to force manual migrations.

Step 1: try to put one of the hosts into maintenance mode. If vm's running on the host migrate elsewhere automatically, you're probably setup properly.

Step 2: If the host seems to take forever to enter maintenance and vm's aren't migrating, cancel the maintenance mode request then initiate manual migrations for each vm running on the host. Usually, at this point, you'll get a great deal of information about anything that might be blocking migrations.

Step 3: If nothing above seems to be working, double check licensing for each host (vmotion/drs/ha) and that the vmkernel nics are setup properly. You may also want to "disconnect" and delete each host from virtualcenter and then reconnect/add it to the cluster.

0 Kudos
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor

thank's for your answers.

concerning the post of themanwithanrx7, I made a ressource pool called "default". "on status.jpg"

concerning the post of oreeh, I put aggressive mode and it was the same. nothing append.

jygoman, i had 7VMs on host1 and 3 on host2. I for an unbalance to test my drs.

Dploylinux, I follow you steps and when I enter my host2 in maintenance mode, few VMs move automatically. Great but :

after it stay on enter maintenance mode in progress for few hours. I had to restart the VIserver service. after that, the host2 was in normal mode ??? like never been in maintenace mode. strange no ?

now as you can see on status.jpg, the load are in unbalance and migration recommandations is 0

so ???

any ideas, thanks in advance

0 Kudos
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor

all is ok now.

I must wait few minutes (around 40) and migration occured automatically.

thank's for all.

0 Kudos