VMware Cloud Community
rrosenkoetter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS based on CPU, not memory utilization?

So I did some tests a while back in my test lab, using CPU-bound test VMs to see how the different levels of fully-automated DRS would work... And I was generally pleased with the results... Conservative really was conservative... so I have had no problems making DRS fully automatic throughout my VMware environment...

Well, today, we had a production host server fail (memory error). I'm happy to report that HA worked flawlessly... All 20 or so VMs failed over to other hosts in less than a minute....

So, we fixed the host server and put in back in the cluster... and we were all waiting for the DRS magic to begin... but not a single VM was moved...

This particular cluster had 4 host servers... DL585 G1s 4-proc (dual-core). 90 VMs. So about 30 each on 3 hosts. CPU was sitting at 18%, 25%, and 12% for those three.. but memory utilization was at 90%, 86%, and 85%... so we could definitely use some load-balancing onto the fourth server that was added back into the cluster.

DRS was set at conservative by the way... 4 stars or better to move...

Ten minutes later... not a single VM had been moved... We moved one manually to make VMotion was working properly...

We set DRS to 3 stars or better to move... Still not a single VM moved...

Set DRS to 2 stars or better to move... Finally it moved 5 VMs...

So now we're sitting at

Host 1 17% CPU 89% memory

Host 2 12% CPU 85% memory

Host 3 11% CPU 73% memory

Host 4 2% CPU 10% memory

Sure seems that at 2 stars (moderate improvement to move), we'd see more movement...

Can anyone explain better how this works? What's the best way to get the 4 host servers back to roughly equal loads again? Other than manually moving another 15-20 VMs...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rrosenkoetter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm just guessing that VMware is much more conservative than us humans...

Hey a server running at 89% is not overloaded.... When a VM asks for more resources than the host server has to give, THEN it will move it over to the near-empty host server...

Just being human, I guess I just want to see four servers running at 60%, 60%, 60%, 60% than 89%, 85%, 73%, 10%

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

I guess it really boils down to response time and performance rather than "equal distribution". If you have 20 appl whose perf and response time doesn't change whether they run spreaded as you have right now or eqaully spreaded as you would like ...... I would go for the fist scenario.....

That way you can do nice things that you are probably going to hear at VMworld (perhaps you have already heard those). Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos