VMware Cloud Community
phowarth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DRS and Maintenance Mode on DL580 G2 Cluster

I'm experiencing a problem when I place a DL580 G2 in a cluster into Maintenance Mode. First what should happen to the VM's on that machine when you place the host in Maintenance Mode? Should that just stay put? What I see is a couple of things happing.

1. After putting the host in Maintenance Mode all guests move off the host.

2. It starts to move the guests but can't. I manually move the guests and the task completes.

I don't see this on my BL 45p clusters only the DL580 G2. Anybody experience this and fixed it?

Pete

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using DRS all powered on VM's will migrate to other hosts when the server is put into maintenance mode. If you have floppies or CD-ROM's mapped to a non-shared datastore on your VM's this can prevent them from moving. You can check your vmware.log file to find out why the VM's did not move automatically.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using DRS all powered on VM's will migrate to other hosts when the server is put into maintenance mode. If you have floppies or CD-ROM's mapped to a non-shared datastore on your VM's this can prevent them from moving. You can check your vmware.log file to find out why the VM's did not move automatically.

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

and to add to what esiebert says, if you vmotion by hand, do you get any warnings? A manually vmotion normally lets you continuee despite of the warnings. I'm not sure if DRS does this.

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com