VMware Cloud Community
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

DRS Rules not working?

Has anyone run into a situation where the DRS rules were not working? I have a rule that keeps 1 vm seperate from all others. I logged in today to find that two other vms were now hanging out with the VIP. I could not figure out why this was happening. I tried restarting the VC agent, no go, I rebooted all the hosts in the cluster one at a time, and still no go. I deleted the rule and recreated it, no go. I rebooted VC and no go.

Ideas, suggestions, anything else?

Matthew

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

How can you make a anti-affinity rule to separate 1 VM to all the other?

You can only make anti-affinity rule to separate all VMs listed.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What you can do is:

Create affinity rule to keep all the VMs except the one VM.

Create anti-affinity rule to separate the one VM and any of the other VMs.

Hope this works

-Sandeep

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

For the sake of a short explanation, we have about 20 rules, the VIP is in each of those rules and one of the other vms is there as well, one rule for each vm in that cluster. Luckily it isn't a big cluster.

But anyway, anyone ever run into a situation where the DRS rules stop working? I ended up rebooting vCenter and this seemed to resolve the issue.

Matthew

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I thought you rebooted the vCenter server and didn't seems to work so how does it work on second shot? hhmmm.....maybe your rules are conflicting with each other's rules by chance I haven't seen anything like that....DRS is VMware butter/bread so they can't screw it up you know....and it seems to do really good job for our large clusters. I would double check your rules or read more about would help understand DRS more better.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Seems to me there was a problem when creating a lot of rules for DRS. VMware warns not to create too many because of the overhead on Virtual Center. Not sure what the magic number is, however, what you are saying makes sense because you restarted VC and the DRS rules began to work.

Mike

0 Kudos