VMware Cloud Community
jjamieson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS Rules - Seperation rule not working

Greetings,

I have a cluster of four ESX 3.01 servers, SAN back end, VC2.01, full licenses.

Everything is working as it should. Vmotion works, and DRS works. However, I have four terminal server VMs that I wish to keep separated onto their own machines to ensure the load (and mostly fault tolerance) is maintained.

I set up a simple DRS rule for the cluster, type "Separate Virtual Machines" and included the four VMs.

Unfortunately, DRS seems to be ignoring this, and it often ends up with two or three of the VM's running on the same host. Because these are the highest spec VMs on the cluster, I'm guessing that DRS moves them to get the biggest "bang for the buck" when balancing the load between servers since they do move a lot.

I could set a rule to never move those VMs but that seems to defeat the purpose of the rules function. But, if I did that, would HA still bring the VM's up if a host crashes?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jjamieson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I realize now that I have put this post in the wrong forum (Should have gone to VC2) so if this post can be moved there that would be great. If not, I'll repost it there.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Moved...

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
martijnmoret
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same problem with three servers in a seperation group.

When talking to support: seperation only works with two VM's.

you will have to make the following rules to achieve what you want:

seperate 1 & 2

seperate 2 & 3

seperate 3 & 4

seperate 1 & 3

seperate 1 & 4

seperate 2 & 4

Regards

Martijn

0 Kudos