VMware Cloud Community
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DNS issue?

Hey all!

I believe the issue I'm having is DNS related, but I just wanted to post this and confirm.

I have 3 hosts, all on a private lan (192.168..).  My vServer (which is a VM) is on a public lan, and is managing the hosts just fine when it's online... however when I upgraded VMware Tools on it and rebooted, I noticed before it shutdown that the hosts started having problems (Alarm triggered with an HA problem) and it started vMotioning a few of my VM's around.  When the vServer came back up and I connected back to the cluster, it was still vMotioning a VM.

I know that in 3.5, private hosts needed to have the /etc/hosts file updated with the IP/Names, as well as the VC (for HA to work).  I know that vCenter now takes care of the HA part, in regards to DNS... however would inputting the IP/names onto each host in /etc/hosts resolve this issue when the vCenter server is being rebooted/or offline?

Side note...  I cannot console to the VM's through a workstation running the client, only through the vCenter server.  I'm assuming that DNS entires on the host itself would also resolve this?

Thanks

-Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when vcenter is down, only vmware HA will work. HA/DRS will be disabled as it is control by vCenter. However once the vCenter is update, you will get your HA/DRS back.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes you will need dns entries of vcenter and esx hosts to be in the DNS server or the host file of the workstation.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you sure that there are vmotioning around? the reason i'm asking is that when vcenter is down vmotion does not work anymore.

0 Kudos
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool, I'll update the hosts, then!  Thanks man!

Yup, when I logged back into vCenter, it was moving a machine from one host, to another.  Not sure what the hell is going on.  I'm going to update the hosts, and then reboot the VC.  Now... this is a noob question... but even with the VC being down (say I had to reimage it) the cluster settings will still remain in tack, correct? (HA/DRS)

EDIT...Ha... just answered my own question about the HA/DRS with VC being down.  Not sure how/why I saw vMotion running when I brought it back online...

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when vcenter is down, only vmware HA will work. HA/DRS will be disabled as it is control by vCenter. However once the vCenter is update, you will get your HA/DRS back.

0 Kudos
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Gotcha!  That makes sense!

Thanks for the help, man!

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no problem buddy! feel free to come back here if you need help. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank man!  Oh, I will!  This place seem filled with great info and people! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos