VMware Cloud Community
mazixo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DNS Static Records ; Good , Bad , ugly

Hi

always when I want add new ESXi5 host to vCenter  I've to creat  static record on DNS, afther that join host to DC and then add host to vCenter .

is there any way to join my poor host to vCenter without creating any staics records on DNS manualy ? is there way that when join ESXi host to DC or  any way to create dynamic DNS record ???

Love,Life,Freedome is iranain's right Maziyar Khamenh
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately the Host-A records have to be created manually in any case. Take a look at Re: ESXi 5 in AD / Setting up DNS where Troy describes the reason for it.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately the Host-A records have to be created manually in any case. Take a look at Re: ESXi 5 in AD / Setting up DNS where Troy describes the reason for it.

André

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you use the FQDN to add the host to vCenter then you will need the A record; otherwise vCenter doesn't know what that name points to. You could use the ip address of the host and this will allow you to add the host to vcenter without the A record. Caveat that the host will show up in vCenter as the IP address and not the name of the server.