VMware Cloud Community
jamesvincent
Contributor
Contributor

Customization of the guest operating system 'winLonghorn64Guest'

We're running vSphere server (4.1.0, 345043) and ESX hosts (4.1.0, 348481).

When trying to create a VM from a template we're being told;

Customization of the guest operating system 'winLonghorn64Guest' is not supported in this configuration. Microsoft Vista (TM) and Linux guests with Logical Volume Manager are supported only for recent ESX host and VMware Tools versions. Refer to vCenter documentation for supported configurations.

The templates have VMWare Tools installed and a built around the correct OS Type.

I understand this was an issue in 4.0 but was resolved in 4.1.X.

Could permissions affect this?

Would the lack of ANY sysprep files on the vCenter prevent customisation of a VM from template?

Is there anything else we could try?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

I found this kb - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102071...

and check if you´ve all sysprep saved correctly - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100559...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
jamesvincent
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your reply, I have seen that KB. (Highlighted below) It talks about 4.0.X and we're on 4.1.X so I presume we're running a patched version whereby this issue is resolved...

This issue may occur if you have not upgraded to vCenter 4.0 Update 1 or later and if VMware Tools is not installed on the virtual machine.
To resolve this issue, upgrade vCenter Server and install VMware Tools. If you are using an NFS volume, ensure that no root squash is enabled on the NFS server.

Windows 2008 Server R2 is supported in vCenter 4.0 Update 1 or later. You can install this upgrade to ESX 4.0 Update 1a through the Update Manager. For information related to upgrading, see Updating ESX 4.x to a newer released update (1016209).

To install VMware Tools, see Installing VMware Tools in a Windows virtual machine (1018377).

The SysPrep stuff is Not Applicable for 2008 or Windows 7 which is what we're struggling with Smiley Sad

0 Kudos