VMware Cloud Community
rteglgaa
Contributor
Contributor

Customization of Windows Server 2008

Hi there,

We are running the newest vSphere 4.0 update 1 on ESX servers and the vCenter on IBM hardware.

I've created a Windows Server 2008 vm (actually two vm's - one for x86 and one for x64), and converted them to templates. I then created a guest customization answer file, to apply a static ip address and join our windows domain.

The customization starts fine when deploying the templates, but it takes a loooong time, and when finished, the server hasn't been joined to our domain. The log file says, that the supplied username does not authenticate.

So far I've tried to write the username as "domain\username" and simply as "username", in the customization file. I've tried to disable the IPv6 on the network adapter in the vm template, but no luck.

So my question is... is there something that I am missing? The supplied username is a domain administrator. The domain supplied is written as domain.xxx in the customization file (should I try the netbios name instead: domain)?

Any help will be much appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance,

Rasmus

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rteglgaa
Contributor
Contributor

My bad. Thought I had tried with the username only, in the customization specifications. Turns out I had not saved it. When changing the username from "domain\user" to simply "user", it started working Smiley Happy

/Rasmus

0 Kudos