VMware Cloud Community
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Customization Specification Manager Issues

I've been trying to make a customization specification for my Windows 2003 SP2 32-bit VMs.

I have created the specification but whenever I deploy a VM using it, the hostname is incorrect and the SID is never re-generated.

I poked around online and found a KB from VMware which states that the proper version of sysprep must reside in the specified folders.

I saw that my version was incorrect and downloaded the proper version using their link.

Now, I have the proper version of sysprep and it still isn't working.

Is there anything else that can be causing this? I'm trying to deploy a test domain with child domains and generating new SIDs is a must.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The template has SEP11 installed.

It may have to be deployed post install. This, I believe, is causing your issue. Can you uninstall it and test deployment again?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's something I found in the log:

Returning value
WIN2K3-32-TMP\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.Index=1 for system property

Setting dhcp for nic # 1

Returning value
WIN2K3-32-TMP\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapter.DeviceID="9" for system property

ASSOCIATORS OF {
WIN2K3-32-TMP\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapter.DeviceID="9"} where ResultClass = Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration

Found 1 objects. Pointer d002e0. return code 0(0x0)

Found 0 objects. Pointer 0. return code 1(0x1)

Clearing gateway ip addresses.

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 101 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@The system cannot find the file specified.

'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 101 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@The system cannot find the file specified.

', reply='', len=0, status=1

error number 0, The system cannot find the file specified.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the VM in question that you are making the customization spec for, is it used as your template as well? You did not sysprep it, correct? You would just create your "gold image" shut it down and then deploy.

spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not sysprep the template that I am using to deploy, no.

My understanding was that the customization specification does the sysprep for you when deploying from the template.

So yes, the source VM was powered off and converted to a template.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are doing the correct process. You don't have antivirus (TrendMicro or Symantec Endpoint Security) installed on your VM do you?

spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's required even within the lab and I would hate to have to manually install it for every VM.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It may have to be deployed post install. This, I believe, is causing your issue. Can you uninstall it and test deployment again?

0 Kudos
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I'm testing it right now.

0 Kudos
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, another reason why I cannot stand SEP11.

Another thing I noticed when deploying using the specification is that I have to edit the virtual hardware settings and set the NIC to 'connect at power on' otherwise the media is disconnected when booting up.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Another thing I noticed when deploying using the specification is that I have to edit the virtual hardware settings and set the NIC to 'connect at power on' otherwise the media is disconnected when booting up.

That may be a template issue, check to ensure the template is set to "connect at power on"

0 Kudos