VMware Cloud Community
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

Customization Resources not found

I just upgraded my VC from 2.02 to 2.5 and am not able to select guest customization options. All the choices are grayed out and the "Warning: Windows customization resources were not found on the server" is displayed.

I have extracted sysprep 1.1 to the "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\1.1" as well as extracting the win2k3 sysprep files to the ..\application data\vmware\sysprep\svr2003.

I also found a document on the site to put them in the C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\resources\windows\sysprep location. I have both 1.1 and svr2003 directories.

I'm still not able to do guest customization.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
vistaphotos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Message was edited by: Dave.Mishchenko - fixed typo in link

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

I have downloaded both win2k3 sp1 and sp2 versions of sysprep and have placed them in the svr2003 dir but still get the same results. It doesn't find the customization files.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I extracted the contents of Deploy.cab to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003 and my customization worked without any issues.

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

what version of sysprep?

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert

try to use sysprep inside deploy.cab in you windows 2003 server cd.

Alberto

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

tried that, no luck

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I used the deploy.cab from the Windows 2003 cd.

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert

strange.... i had same problem solved with cd. Another question: have you .NET installed on your VCS?

Tell me exatly error

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

I have .NET 2.0 with security update KB928365.

I don't get any error, just when I get to the customization screen, I don't have the choices available to me to do any guest customization, and it says Warning: Customization resources not found.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried a reboot of the VC server since adding the files from deploy.cab?

0 Kudos
todd_shawcross
Contributor
Contributor

The locations have changed for VirtualCenter 2.5

Sysprep 1.1 files need to be located:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\1.1

OS specific deployment tools need to be in the following locations:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\2k

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003-64

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp-64

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

I have the files in the locations listed below:

extracted files from Q257813_W2K_spl_X86_EN into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\1.1

OS specific deployment tools need to be in the following locations:

I don't have any 2k so this dir is empty: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\2k

extracted files from WindowsServer2003-KB926028-v2-x86-ENU to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003

I don't have any 2k3 x64, this dir does not exist: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003-64

extracted WindowsXP-KB838080-SP2-DeployTools-ENU to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp

I don't have any xp-64, this dir does not exist:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp-64

I've tried both deploying a template as well as cloning, both with no options for customizing guest. The template I'm trying to deploy is a Win2k3 SP2. I have made sure the latest tools were installed on the vm before converting to a template as well. I'm also using the vi client on the VC server itself.

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

Ok... problem solved!

kind of silly and I should have caught it earlier.

the ALLUSERSPROFILE enviornment vairable was set to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS for some reason, not c:\Documents and Settings\All Users

Therefore all the VC files accosiated needed to be placed into this dir struct. copying the sysprep files into this dir worked fine!

0 Kudos
Pietro67
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with customization but only con Wxp sp2. I put the customization file under c:\documents and Settings\All User\Application Data\Vmware\Vmware VirtualCenter\sysprep\Xp but the customization for xp don't work.

For W2003 all works fine.

Pietro

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

Did you extract WindowsXP-KB838080-SP2-DeployTools-ENU.cab into your ..\xp directory?

As I found out, it seems as though VC 2.5 is very picky on the versions of sysprep you use.

0 Kudos
Pietro67
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Iextract it in c:\documents and settings\All user\Application Data\vmware\vmware virtual center\sysprep\xp but customiation in not available . It works only for w2003.

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

find your vpxd.log files and look what they say about sysprep. That's what told me that VC couldn't find the sysprep files with my problem.. and that I had them in the wrong place.

0 Kudos
El_Faraon
Contributor
Contributor

Place the files in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\srv2003 o xp ,

Its work fine in Vc2.5

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

Actually the correct answer, as I've painfully found is you should place the files in:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\srv2003 or xp.

I believe VMware should update their documentation to reflect this as there may be an off chance that the ALLUSERPROFILE has changed from the default.

0 Kudos