VMware Cloud Community
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Customization Manager with Server 2008?

Does anyone know if the Customization Specification Manager will work with Server 2008 template?

When I create a new set of specifications through the wizard, there's no option to chose anything other than "windows" or "Linux". The section below those options references a custom sysprep answer file, which to me would imply XP/2000/2003. Microsoft bascially did away with Sysprep in 2008 (you can run a very simple, uncustomized version to change the SID and do an OOBE) or create a custom XML through WAIK. So I'm wondering if is supposed to be for 2008 also? I have a feeling it isn't. How are others deploying 2008 templates?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does anyone know if the Customization Specification Manager will work with Server 2008 template?

Yes it does.

When I create a new set of specifications through the wizard, there's no option to chose anything other than "windows" or "Linux". The section below those options references a custom sysprep answer file, which to me would imply XP/2000/2003. Microsoft bascially did away with Sysprep in 2008 (you can run a very simple, uncustomized version to change the SID and do an OOBE) or create a custom XML through WAIK. So I'm wondering if is supposed to be for 2008 also? I have a feeling it isn't. How are others deploying 2008 templates?

It's the same as it ever was really. The only difference is that now you don't have to have the sysprep files copied over to vCenter prior. I have customization specificaitons for both 32-bit and 64-bit 2008 and also 2008 R2. Everything works fine.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it does.

It's the same as it ever was really. The only difference is that now you don't have to have the sysprep files copied over to vCenter prior. I have customization specificaitons for both 32-bit and 64-bit 2008 and also 2008 R2. Everything works fine.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, great! I honestly haven't tried using it yet. Previously, my 2003 templates were pre-syspreped so I hadn't used this wizard before. This looks like it'll be easer than the way I was doing it. Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos