VMware Cloud Community
bramvermeulen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Custom alarm definition ==> Automatically change to green status?

Greetings,

I've defined a couple of custom alarms to notify me of certain actions (like opening a console to a VM), which works. However the alarm also changes the "status" of the machine to "alert" until I manually reset the alarm to green or "normal". Is it possible to run a command that sets the VM back to normal or even better, not change the status of the VM to "alert" when an alarm gets triggered?

I know it seems logical that the latter isn't possible but you never know.

Thanks in advance,

Bram

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If it is an alarm representing a status it should change automatically as soon as the alarm status is gone. But if is is an alarm representing an event, why should it go away automatically? By confirming the alarm you show that you have recognized it.

Opening a console is an event, not a status. Try to set the status not to alarm but to normal, vCenter should show nothing then but maybe you get an action triggered (if you have definded one).

If you keep it as an alarm or warning you have to confirm it.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

maybe this thread, http://communities.vmware.com/thread/233087 , will be of some use

AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If it is an alarm representing a status it should change automatically as soon as the alarm status is gone. But if is is an alarm representing an event, why should it go away automatically? By confirming the alarm you show that you have recognized it.

Opening a console is an event, not a status. Try to set the status not to alarm but to normal, vCenter should show nothing then but maybe you get an action triggered (if you have definded one).

If you keep it as an alarm or warning you have to confirm it.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
bramvermeulen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks alot, the first answer fixes the problem but the second prevents it, so both are correct answers. Smiley Happy

I feel kind of stupid not thinking about just setting the status of the alarm to normal. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos