VMware Cloud Community
cal70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Custom TCP/IP Stack - uneditable in vShpere web ui

Hoping for some guidance / help.  Right now have used the command line to setup a second TCP/IP stack, hoping to have a second mgmt connection.  I have successfully:

1. created the TCP/IP stack

2. created vmk nic

3. made the associations in web ui,

4. able to view the above vmk, TCP/IP stack.

i. NONE of the static setting in custom stack are editable, from what I have been able to learn, is I need to 'enable' or setup vmkernel port?  (HOW, I don't know.)

I can 'edit' the stack in the gui.  I have successfully set the management setting for the vmk nic, but the last thing ... that I think I need to do is set up the custom TCP/IP stack, but I can't.  I'd be ok with doing it vi esxcli command but I can't find anything on how.  HELP if you can pls

Cheers!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Always you have a little more changing and customization operations in the CLI/Shell environment (especially via the using the esxcfg / esxcli) in front of vsphere client/ web client, but after all you should know exactly each one of TCP/IP stacks are used for which operation:

1. Default for management traffic
  2. vMotion for live migration and vMotion
  3. Provisioning for cold migration, snapshot and cloning ...
Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cal70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Really looking for some help .... as a newbie, I'm trying to setup a lap to learn, so anything appreciated.  Any of the setting in this red box, CAN NOT SET them, maybe I can via esxcli?  OR set the GUI right?

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 1.46.53 PM.jpeg

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi

In the vSphere Web Client, customization of a VMkernel port can be defined during the creation of the VMkernel adapter.

Please read this post of Duncan Epping and also this one too

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

However I tested it again to be ensure in my lab... For ESXi version 6.0 and 6.7 (that I deployed them before) when you connect directly to the ESXi host with the vsphere web client, regardless of Default TCP/IP stack you cannot modify none of the TCP/IP stacks. Then I back to the vCenter server and change the provisioning stack's IPv4 gateway, and come again to the ESXi. While that field is shown editable, but I couldn't change the parameter here. (prompt failed to update ...)

cal70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you.. for the reply.  So if I understand you tested it, and was not able to modify any of the settings?  So I'm guessing that the custom TCP/IP stack is not an option I can use.  I thought I was close with the esxcli options, but I can't seem to find the command / method of how to configure the stack from the command line.   Do you have any suggestions I might be able to try

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Always you have a little more changing and customization operations in the CLI/Shell environment (especially via the using the esxcfg / esxcli) in front of vsphere client/ web client, but after all you should know exactly each one of TCP/IP stacks are used for which operation:

1. Default for management traffic
  2. vMotion for live migration and vMotion
  3. Provisioning for cold migration, snapshot and cloning ...
0 Kudos