VMware Cloud Community
doubleH
Expert
Expert

Custom Resources on VM's

Just upgraded to 2.5.0 U1 from 2.0.2 the other day and wanted to run this by you guys. I have a simple setup with 2 Resource Pools "Prod" and "Test" On the "Prod rp I have CPU resources and Memory resources set to "High". The "Test" rp has these set to normal.

I noticed that if I go to "Edit Settings" on a powered on VM and go to the "Resources" tab my CPU and Memory settings are set to custom values. I know for certain I did not make these changes and was wondering if 2.5 has something to so with this. Unfortunately I don't have a 2.0.2 VC to look at. Will these values not override the rp settings?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I've just confirmed the same thing that you are seeing, as far as limits are concerned. I also see markers for where the resource pool limits are being shown as a number. And have also confirmed that this is not the case with 2.0.2

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

so do you think this is a problem?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think it's a problem, per se. When I look at resource allocation, it looks correct, but I don't like seeing things I didn't set, which I'm sure is your case as well. That's why I mentioned it, but I haven't noticed any imbalance, as of yet, because of it.

-KjB

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

i created a SR just to be sure and here is what support told me...

Hello

That's correct this is a known issue after upgrading from 2.x to VC 2.5, Can I simply have you change all those values from custom to normal,. Both cpu and memory should be set to normal.

You should be able to make these changes with out any issue.

I'll leave the case open until the end of the day though to make sure you didn't have any further questions on this.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Wow, that is quite unfortunate. I was going to be updating one of my env's to 2.5, and this will be a PITA for 100+ vm's to change.

Thanks for the update.

-KjB

0 Kudos