VMware Cloud Community
jgalexan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Custom Alarms in VC 2.5

Is there a way to create custom alarms within Virtual Center 2.5. I currently have 3.5 hosts in 2 clusters, 1 DataCenter, and my VC is a VM. I wanted to create an alarm that would alert me when ever my VC VM moves to a new host.

Why? If my Virtual Center machine ever goes down, how do I find it fast. I currently have 20 hosts, and we are planning to expand. Trying to find where the VC machine is located in a list of servers is very time consuming.

I also wanted to create an Alarm to alert me whenever my disk space on a LUN was below x%.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks VM users.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Amit_ch
Contributor
Contributor

I am also looking to do the same. Did you find a way out? Let me know.

Thanks

Amit

0 Kudos
jgalexan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No one has stepped up with any comments on this one. I am sure we are not the only ones needing this. Hopefully we will get some input.

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

The LUN space alarm would be nice. For VC I have just disabled DRS for that VM so that I always know where it is.

0 Kudos
jgalexan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But that does not do you any good if that host is the one with a problem.

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

I would expect if I lose the host that VirtualCenter is on, HA will start it elsewhere and I can still connect and locate it that way. Not the best solution, but for me it has worked without issue so far including some testing and at least one full outage situation.

VI1
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone come up with a method to monitor LUN utilzation via VC? We've expierenced a few instances of runway snaps filling up the LUN and thus crashing other VM's.

-JD

0 Kudos