VMware Cloud Community
brittonv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Credentials don't work when connecting to single hosts

Greetings,

I am able to log on to my vSphere vCenter server and connect to all my ESX Hosts with out any problems.

However if I try to connect to a single host I get "login failed due to a bad username or password".

Can someone please point me in the direction of what I need to do to enable me to log in via both methods?

If you are asking why I am trying to do so, I am just trying to pre-configure my computer so that I can manage my domain in the event vCenter fails.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Pretty darn sure that is correct.

When you add a host in Vcenter, you have to give Vcenter the local host credentials as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hmm we use different credentials for Vcenter and stand lone mgt of the same hosts.

Vcenter uses Active Directory and the Hosts use root as the user name.

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter is what enables you to use AD when loggin in. The host directly, from what I understand does not support AD. I would to keep it simple say create a user on the host through the command line that matches your AD account, name and password. Hope this helps.

Commands:

adduser username

passwd username "then enter new password"

0 Kudos
brittonv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So even when I look at the permissions tab of a specific host, I see my Domain credentials. Even though they are on the server the only way they are usable is through vCenter? Any direct connections have to be made via a set of local credentials?

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Pretty darn sure that is correct.

When you add a host in Vcenter, you have to give Vcenter the local host credentials as well.

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That is my understanding, yes. I would assume they dont figure you will directly connect unless you are fixing something.