VMware Cloud Community
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creating new alarms in VSphere

Guys,

I need some help. I'm currently running vCenter Server 4.1.0 (build 258902) and I'm trying to create a few new alarms. I know how to create new difinitions but I'm running into difficulty creating a few specific alarms. It could be that what I'm trying to do is not possible. Any advice would be great.

I'm trying to create alarms for disk latency on the VM level and the datastore level. I know how to create an alarm for disk latency at the VM level but not sure if I can configure disk latency alarms on the actual datastores. Secondly I have 2 different types of datastores and each one type would have different alarm triggers. I would need to configure alarms to reflect this.

Again I realise that what I'm asking may not be possible.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

AFAIK, you cannot create an alarm to monitor disk latency on a datastore. Also, even though the alarm for VM disk latency exists in vCenter, it does not work. This is a bug, and a PR is generated with VMware Support. Looks to me the next major release will offer disk latency monitoring at the VM level.

For now, the best tool for what you are looking to do would probably be 3rd party, something like akorri

0 Kudos
truck0321
Contributor
Contributor

Veeam monitor lets you set a custom alarm for datastore latency/io threshholds exceeded.  Only available in the full version but worth every penny. 

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

For now - this needs either a 3rd party tool - or some scripted monitor setup(if you have no budget) , to alert you

(e.g. you could use the get-esxtop PowerCli CMDLETs, and have them track performance every x amount of seconds . . then mail you etc in the event of an issue) - but this is still clumsy

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos