VMware Cloud Community
GCrawshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Creating an Oracle Windows Server Template

Hi, First Time Long Time!

We are looking into providing a virtualised dev environment for our oracle devs. How feasible is it to create a template of a Windows 2003 Server with Oracle alreading installed.

I have no real knowledge of Oracle and have 2 questions,

1. Is it possible to Template the Server with Oracle Installed? and

2. If above is feasible, what config changes would be necessary for the new server?

Thanks in advance

Gavin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ZMkenzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From a vmware point of view there is no difference between a windows template with oracle and a free bsd server. Basically a template is just a vm which can be cloned with a wizard inside virtualcenter.

Said that, i'd suggest you to create a windows machine with oracle installed, then, you should not run sysprep because oracle will not like it. Just clone the machine and then use "newsid" program from sysinternals/microsoft. This should work. Anyway it's not ufficially supported.

Hope this helps.

Bye.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

I suggest you re-route your question to your Oracle counterpart. This is very application specific ..... there are applications that wouldn't bother about being cloned using sysprep or similar technology while there might be others that bind to specific machine info at setup-time and would not be happy if you change these all of a sudden.

Very application specific.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
GCrawshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your points of view.

Yeah, I understand all about the do's and don'ts of cloning and sysprep etc - (being from an SOE background!) but we are not sure our Oracle people are very forthcoming regarding the "difficulties" of altering/reconfiguring a cloned oracle setup.

Regards

Gavin

0 Kudos