VMware Cloud Community
danzbassman
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a development or test vLAN

Hi,

We are starting a big development project. The project will require about 20 various development virtual servers. We need to keep this development environment completely seperate from our production network. Ideally I'd like to create a dev vLAN where the dev VMs will live, but be able to give my developers access to the VMs in the dev vLAN from their production physical workstations. My thought was to create a dev vLAN with no physical network interface cards and then use a virtual router that sees both the dev and prod vLANs and control access through routing and access control lists.

I can't find any VMWare docs that describe how do to this, and VMWare tech support has said it isn't really possible.

I disagree. There must be a way to do this.

Has anyone done this? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you taken a look at Lab Manager - it will do this for you - if not jsy utilize internal only switch and create a vm that is either running a firewall or NAT Router that will route to the isolated network -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos