VMware Cloud Community
denfen21
Contributor
Contributor

Copy templates from one Virtual Center to another?

We have two datacenters each with it's own Virtual Center. We are creating templates on one VC and we would like to know the best practice for copying the templates from one VC to the other. We tried converting the template to a VM. Used the migration process to get the VM from one VC to the other. Then convert the VM back to a template but we think there's got to be a better way.

Has anyone come across this scenario and if so how did you conquer the process?

TIA - Dennis

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

How do you clone/migrate a vm from one VC to the next? I am unaware of the ability to transfer VM's between VC instances.

What you could do is present a common LUN to each VC then clone your templates between the common datastore. You wouldn't have to convert it to a VM, just chose the clone option.

0 Kudos
denfen21
Contributor
Contributor

We used the VMware converter that's used to convert a physical to a virtual machine. In that process you get the opportunity to choose an ESX server or VC datastore as the destination.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, VMware Conveter is always a good option. That and the option I pointed out, to me, are the two easiest ways do do it.

You could always ftp files from one Host to another using Veeam FastSCP, but that will probably take longer

0 Kudos
denfen21
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I should have given more detail. The Virtual Centers are in different datacenters in different parts of the country and each has it's own SAN storage. (No shared LUNs.) Right now the only option for us looks like using the VMware converter. We thought there must be other companies in our situation and come up with a better way to copy templates from one VC to the other. The converter process works but seems a little convoluted.

Dennis

0 Kudos
mparent
Contributor
Contributor

We use FastSCP, there is also another app called WinSCP. We copy the templates or vm from one datastore to another using FastSCP, then browse the datastore in VI Client, and add the template or vm to inventory.

Mike

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've had to do this too between two different datacenter's. I simply copied the template via Veeam FastSCP. Didn't think about the VMware converter but that sounded like a good idea too.

0 Kudos
denfen21
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys! I downloaded Veeams FastSCP this morning and this looks like it may be what we're looking for.

I'll let you know how we make out.

Thanks again - Dennis

0 Kudos