VMware Cloud Community
Zade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converting VHDX to VMDK

Hi Guys,

We are currently backing up our exchange server with the bog standard backup which comes with windows (windows backup), which is saving to the hyper-v vhdx file type, what is the best way to go about converting the file from vhdx to vmdk?

7 Replies
dhanarajramesh

you can use starwind convertor tool and do below steps 1)Using VMM stop they Hyper-V VM 2)Make a copy of the .vhdx file locally on the Hyper-V server 3)Use Hyper-V manager to convert that .vhdx to vhd. 4)Copy that .vhd to your workstation’s local HDD (or where ever you have StarWind converter installed. 5)Use the StartWind converter to convert that .vhd to .vmdk 6)Using vCenter client, create a blank VM 7)Upload that .vmdk to the datastore 8)Link that vmdk to the VM 10)Boot that VM 10)Configure VM

0 Kudos
Zade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi There,

We don't have Hyper-V the VM is within the Vcenter environment but is being backed up through Microsoft windows backup, which is why its being backed up as a vhdx file, is there any other way of converting it without hyper v?

Zade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone know a way around this? what is the best way to restore these files into vsphere?

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You have to use third party software to convert VHDX files to VMDK files format

Starwind V2V converter is a free software which allows converting VHD to VMDK virtual disk files. It allows to convert VHD to VMDK virtual disk file format. VMware converter, which has been , does need Hyper-V server running in order to connect to and convert hyper-V virtual machine into VMware VMs.

But what to do when you recover just the VHD files on some external USB, or you downloaded some Microsoft preview software, like the ones released recently for SCVMM 2012 R2. Those come as VHD files (I have put links to the bottom of this article, in case you’re intereted).

Some thoughts. During the virtualization beginnings, when VMware Workstation 1-2.x was the latest release of virtualization products together with Connectix Virtual PC and both products were good starting points to spin multiple OS on a desktop computer and learn new OSes. During that time already the cool idea of converting VHD to VMDK and vice versa was running in my head.

Things has evolved since and Virtual PC we all know where it is now and how many guest OS it supports now. VHD (and the new VHDX) formats are here for Hyper-V, as well as VMDK for VMware. To convert VHD to VMDK you need a tool.

The one which works pretty well is  It’s a free tool and enables the multiple conversion possibilities. It allows VHD to VMDK conversion, and also a conversion into thin VMDK which allows save disk space by not allocating the whole space, but only the blocks that are used.

Lesther
Contributor
Contributor

This might help you out guys, works perfectly for me.

http://rajdude.com/blog/migrate-or-convert-a-hyper-v-2012-vm-to-vmware/

Domenic Alvaro on June 24, 2014 at 7:15 am said:

I just found another very useful way to turn a Hyper-V VHDX into a VMware virtual machine. I’m surprised it actually worked! I did need an existing Server 2012 R2 server, though.

1. Log onto a pre-existing Windows 2012 R2 server (physical or virtual)
2. Attach the VHDX you want to convert using the Disk Management console
3. Use VMware Converter to perform a P2V or V2V, but exclude the servers pre-existing drives and just convert the attached VHDX drives.
4. Configure your destination VM and turn it on.

VMware Converter converted this perfectly and the server booted up without any manual intervention. You just need to ensure you attach the disks with read/write access so a VSS snapshot can be taken.

Easy!

0 Kudos
utilmanonline
Contributor
Contributor

Or just with plain old winimage. Works for both VHD and VHDX

See: Convert VHD to VMware VMDK Image Using WinImage

0 Kudos
tanwk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using Windows backup you got it as a VHX file, are you trying to restore it or trying to convert it?

If restore, just use windows backup to restore to another drive, if the machine is on vSphere, then just have a vDisk ready and restore it.

If its on HyperV, it doesnt matter what backup you have, your current VM need to be converted and as above shared by the rest, there are many ways to do it.

Blog: http://plain-virt.blogspot.com
Twitter: @tanwk3
LinkedIn: http://sg.linkedin.com/in/weekiongtan
0 Kudos