VMware Cloud Community
ElMariachi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter Standalone Agent installation failed, error code: 1601

Hello all,

I have downloaded a tryware version of the VMware converter, to see if we can use this tool to create virtual machines of existing industrial PC's.

We are planning to make a test remote backup of an XP machine from a laptop computer (to keep it mobile in an industrial environment)

I installed te VMware converter, and disabled the firewalls on both machines.

I also disabled the shared network drives on the remote machine.

When the powered-on remote machine data has been entered (ip-adress, username, PW, OS family), and we press Next, the pop-up appears to deploy the Converter Standalone Agent.

If we press 'yes' to continue, after a minute or so the following message appears:

-- Converter Standalone Agent installation failed, error code: 1601 --

Can anyone tell me what this error code means, and how I can solve this error?

Any help will be cincerely appreciated!

Kind regards, and thank you in advance,

Marcel Lindeman

the Netherlands

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows Installer Error 1601 = The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that the Windows Installer service is properly registered.

Also, make sure that the proper ports are opened to allow for the Windows agent to get installed.

Alternately, you can manually install the Converter agent on the remote system ... then try the conversion again (then it doesn't need to actually install anything).

Regards,

Jonathan

B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows Installer Error 1601 = The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that the Windows Installer service is properly registered.

Also, make sure that the proper ports are opened to allow for the Windows agent to get installed.

Alternately, you can manually install the Converter agent on the remote system ... then try the conversion again (then it doesn't need to actually install anything).

Regards,

Jonathan

B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
ElMariachi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jonathan,

Thank you very much!

Local IT made a fix, it appeared installing XP SP 2 on the source machine solved the problem.

Kind regards,

Marcel Lindeman

0 Kudos