VMware Cloud Community
ascheale
Contributor
Contributor

Converter - Bluescreen after powering on newly imported machine

Hi,

I´m currently converting Acer Server which have only SAN access, means they boot from SAN and have no local storage.

Conversion is OK but when we power up the new VM we get a bluescreen. What can we do?

A safemode boot doesn´t work - bluescreen too.

Regards, Alex

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

One method of fixing it is to use the Windows Boot CD and skip the first option to repair then chose install and when it finds a previous install it will give you the option to upgrade or repair. This option usually fixes the issue and does not kill that apps.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
ascheale
Contributor
Contributor

That´s a method we know. Thank you.

I mean is there a VMware "thing" we cn do?

Is it possible at all to convert servers which have no physical attached hard dics, which boot from SAN ?

Alex

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Another option is to use Ultimate-P2V boot cd , so you can inject the vmware storage drivers in to the converted system.

We used this method before the VMware converter was created, this was our alternative for VMware P2V.

0 Kudos
Frank_Poelert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alex,

If the server is running while you convert it (with the convertor agent installed) it should be no problem.

The bleuscreen could have been caused by differences in CPU type between the physical server and the ESX host.

I had the same problem after converting an AMD server and trying to run it on an Intel host, which is not that strange since the Windows HAL is for AMD not Intel.

Running the Windows repair from the CD installed the correct HAL for the Intel CPU.

Hope this helps.

Frank

0 Kudos