VMware Cloud Community
bncsd
Contributor
Contributor

Convert VM's from GSX to ESX Server ...

Hi all,

I was able to convert a VM in GSX to ESX serer by SCP the VMDK files (C:\ drive) and use "vmkfstools -i" to import it into /vmfs/vmhba folder.

Now, I need to copy other VMDK files, as this VM has 4 partitions (C:\,D:\, E:\, F:\ drives). I use SCP and copy the Test_D_Drive.vmdk and Test_D_Drive-flat.vmdk files to /vmfs/vmhba folder. And use the "vmkfstools -i " to import the vmdk file. But, I got an error:

"Disklib Open () failed. The file specified is not a virtual disk (13)"

I am NOT sure I should use the vmkfstools -i to import the non-OS vmdk files? If not, how should I import sub-sequent vmdk files?

TIA

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert

Make sure that you run vmkfstools against your XXX.vmdk and not XXX-flat.vmdk file.

If that doesn't work, free VMware Converter might be an option.

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter

0 Kudos
bncsd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Cheeko. I did run it against the vmdk descriptor and not the flat one.

I do have a converter 3.0 but the serial number that VMware sent is not valid. I will need to talk to VMware and get the correct ones. But, it might not help as I need to migrate from production ESX server to an ESX server in the "isolated" LAB - no direct network connection.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

As long as you can reach both ESX servers from your computer (where converter is installed on), it might work with the migration. For Starter version you do not need a serial.

http://act.vmware.com/servlet/campaignrespondent?_ID_=vmwi.2720&email=email&code=

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Done this many times, the Converter is definaltely worth a try, nice and easy..

Will do ESX to ESX, etc etc..

Starter Edition is free and requires no serial..

0 Kudos
bncsd
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I have another question. One of the drive, drive F:\ in GSX, it current size is 7.1GB and max is 14GB. And I look at where is located there only one VMDK file called, Test_F_Drive.vmdk and the size is 7.1GB. I don't see the flat VMDK file?

So, can I just copy this file to the target ESX server and run vmkfstool -i to import it?

TIA

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

It seems that this disk was created on GSX without preallocating disk space (14GB?). Therefore you only see the 7.1GB that are actually used by the guest OS.

I warmly recommend using VMware Converter as it let's you move the disk files around from product to product and even re-sizing vmdks and stuff. It's lot easier than doing it from console and the result is identical.

Save some time and use the converter.

cheeko

P.S.: If something was correct or helpful please award points. It's saturday, you know ... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos