VMware Cloud Community
Bartman71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Convert Database from Oracle to SQL

Hi,

is there any way to convert/move the VCenter database from Oracle to SQL?

Marc

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SQL server has methods of importing data from a variety of sources including Oracle. I have never gone it this direction but it should work.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

What version of SQL/Oracle are you running for VC server? You can migrate Oracle to SQL 2000 but should be similiar to SQL 2005.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can play with live lab how to migrate oracle/sql here before you want to test it live.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I am curious, why do you want to switch from oracle to SQL? Are you having performance issues? I am just wondering why the switch, perhaps you could she some light on issues you are having?

0 Kudos
odonnellj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I can tell you why I'm looking at moving to mssql and it's not because I like the product. After 4 years of using Oracle and VC, the new VC 2.5 install we have has serious problems and Support has done little to fix them. After almost two months of back and forth they finally admit to some Oracle package errors but it's still not resolved - database growth is still rapidly growing.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/124035

0 Kudos
Bartman71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are running VCenter 2.0X at the moment on Oracle. We are planning to go to Vcenter 2.5 in the near furture. Currently the Oracle Servers are running Production Databases and the VCenter Database on physical machines. They will also be virtualised. We also have a very good perfroming SQL 2005 Server running on 64Bit virtualised environment which does not have as much load as the Oracle PRDE Database. So the idea was to offload the Vcenter load from Oracle to SQL while moving Oracle to the next version and virtualisation step.

I will check out the SQL import fuctions and see where the ends up with. I though there might be a recommended VMWare way of either do it this way or never ever migrate....

Marc

0 Kudos