VMware Cloud Community
wortiz333
Contributor
Contributor

Considerations and Limitations for File-Based Backup and Restore

Author : Evgeni Ivanov

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.install.doc/GUID-AFF34FA6-B7CF-4AE...

Topic Name : Considerations and Limitations for File-Based Backup and Restore

Publication Name : vSphere Installation and Setup

Product/Version : VMware vSphere/6.5

Question :

Please clarify how to do a Filed-Based backup or restore if the vCenter Server has an embedded PSC in a linked mode configuration.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

File-based backup of other VMs or of the VCSA?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wortiz333
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott28tt,

Sorry, I should have clarified further. It is for the VCSA itself.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey wortiz333​,

So you were pointing to the right place and I suggest you to keep reading the procedure as it also talks about Enhanced Linked Mode. Basically you can do a file-backup using SCP, HTTP, FTP, SFTP and HTTPS protocols. Take in consideration that vCenter does not manage retention so you will need to use some sort of script or automated task to delete files to prevent the folder for growing up exponentially and filling the disk.

Regarding the restore process you will need to use the ISO that is used for a new installation and you will need to select the option "Restore". As if were a new installation, the first step will be deploying a new VCSA and the second will be the restore of the data from the backup store. If the vCenter was in Enhanced Linked Mode configuration it will prompt you to point to a PSC with an existing SSO domain and you can safely restore to the working one.

Take into account that if the restore fails you will need to shutdown that temporary VCSA and delete it before trying a new restore.

0 Kudos