VMware Cloud Community
Amnexi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Connections & Ports in VI3 - Modified

I just added the Converter ports to the original VMware's Connection & Ports graphic, and I share it here hoping somebody finds it useful.

Some may think this isn't needed since Converter (Enterprise) is now added as a VC Plug-in, but that doesn't work in every scenario. It happened to me that I needed to virtualize a server inside a secured VLAN, and opening NetBIOS 139/TCP port was not an option. I installed Converter inside the same VLAN, and therefore the only port needed was 443 & 902 TCP to one ESX server (and optionally 443 to VC server).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Thanks for the diagram its very precise and nice done. Most likely security object about opening port 445 & 139 due to vulnerabilities. There are workaround to P2V process but if yours installed on same VLAN than sounds good but people also use VMware Workstation with external USB and P2V it and then export back the .vmdk to ESX hosts. Thats' another way to work around from DMZ->production network.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos