VMware Cloud Community
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

Connection Error - vSpere Client to vCenter 4.1

Trying to connect to vCenter 4.1 from the vSphere Client 4.1 on either my local PC or Remote Desktop Connection in to the server hosting vCenter, I get this error:

Connection Error

The request failed because the remote server 'hostname' took too long to respond.  (The command has timed out as the remote server is takng too long to respond).

Error Stack

Call "ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent" for object "ServiceInstance on Server "fullyqualifieddomainname" failed.

This was working fine last week!

Anyone seen this before?  Have an ideas or at least what log file to look at?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

check if FQDN and DNS is OK and try disable a firewall to test if firewall are blocking ports of connection;

can you too restart a vcenter service.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i would check if the DNS actually resolves, what not try IP instead?

0 Kudos
rmcinern
Contributor
Contributor

If you can't access from the client running directly on the vCenter server try restarting the vcenter service, it may be having an issue.

You can check for errors for the service in the vpxd.log file in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

0 Kudos