VMware Cloud Community
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring NAS

When I tried to configure a NAS, I get the following error: "Errot during the configuration of the host: NFS Error: Unable to mount filesystem: Unable to connect to NFS server." I already created the VMkernel Port.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

More than likely this is an issue with the vmkernel port not able to see the NAS/NFS server - If you are running ESX see if you can ping the NAS/NFS server using the vmkping command from the CLI -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can ping the NAS server.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

was that with the ping command or vmkping command? are both the vmkernel port and NAS server on the same network segment? If not do you have a gateway defined for the vmkernel port?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

I use both; ping and vmkping. Yes, both ports are in the same network.

0 Kudos
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

What can I do?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I would take a look at the ocnfiguration of your NFS datastore - one critical thing is the ESX need route level access to shared NFS folder so you will need ot make sure the no_root_squash parameter is set -

0 Kudos
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

How can I set that parameter?

0 Kudos
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

This is the error:

-- ERROR task-796 -- host-8 -- vim.host.DatastoreSystem.createNasDatastore: vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault:

(vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

text = "NFS Error: Unable to Mount filesystem: Unable to connect to NFS server",

msg = "Error during the configuration of the host: NFS Error: Unable to Mount filesystem: Unable to connect to NFS server"

}

0 Kudos
alex3600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First try to mount your NFS folder using the service console.

The command is:

mount <NAS IP>:<Path> <local directory>

0 Kudos
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

The command doesn't funtion

0 Kudos
alex3600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So check if the NFS client port is enabled on the ESX firewall.

Go to the ESX configuration tab, click in Security Profile and Properties on the Firewall box. Check the box that says NFS Client and click OK.

If that doesn't work, I would enable the syslog in your NAS device and see if it reports anything.

0 Kudos