VMware Cloud Community
middave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configuring HA errors after upgrading VC 2.0.2 to 2.5

We upgraded our VC to version 2.5, the upgrade seem to go smooth, but when the VC started up we're seeing Configuring HA errors, the actual message is "An error occurred during configuration of the HA agent on the host." The Related Events mentions "VMWareClusterManager Rule not enabled".

I've been searching the KB and not had much luck, see the attachement for a visual

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is a known bug with HA configuration when upgrading to VC 2.5. Did you try disabling and re-enabling HA on the cluster?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

when you upgrade VC fron 2.0. to 2.5, new vcagent are installed on esx host. If it's possible for you, try to remove one of your esx host frmo HA (put it in mantenance mode) and finally reinsert it in HA. In this mode vcagent are refreshed.

bye

0 Kudos
rer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem, i disconnected the host, then connected it again, and then HA did come uo again.

0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I also had the same problem. Just removed the ESX host from the inventory and added it back in and it worked.

0 Kudos
RUG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had similar issues and opened up a support case with VMware in regard to the problems. They mentioned to me that I should have disabled HA prior to performing the upgrade. I indicated that this is not in the upgrade documentation and I still do not know if the support person was accurate in making this statement.

0 Kudos
middave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've Disconnected / Reconnected, Removed / Added and I still have the Configure HA error. Additional info, my VC is 2.5 and 4 of my hosts are 3.0.2 and one is 3.5. One of four 3.0.2 hosts doesn't have a red error flag, all of the other hosts have the Configure error messages.

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

please, verify your dns configuration. Also check if your default gateway is pingable. This is very important for HA and isolation mode procedure.

0 Kudos
middave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confirmed, but these were set and working prior to the upgrade to 2.5. When I removed and re-added one of the host, I'm using the host name (IE esx-09.mid.org), not an IP address.

0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

did you get an error message when the ESX servers were geting the VCclient upgrade?

0 Kudos
middave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is when the error started to occur, if I understand your question correctly.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is a known bug with HA configuration when upgrading to VC 2.5. Did you try disabling and re-enabling HA on the cluster?

0 Kudos
middave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have a winner, ding-ding-ding. Disabled HA on the cluster and re-enabled it and the Error Msg's are gone.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
davidm3281
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for you posts.

I just upgraded my VC 2.x to 2.5 tonight.

I'm running ESX 3.02 and after I logged into VC for the first time, I saw that it went thru and updated all the VC-agents on each ESX host.

Later HA configuration was failing for all of them and no matter how many times I tried to reconfigure, it would still fail after hanging at 94%.

Trying the last suggestion of disabling HA at the cluster level and reenabling seemed to fix my issue! Thanks everyone for this forum!

Why can't vmware tell us this in their upgrade docs or pop up a message box after the upgrade or something? Arrghhhh

0 Kudos
befrenchy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can also confirmed this appears to be the solution. I recently went through upgrading from VC 2.0.2 to 2.5 and had the same HA errors on some hosts. Disabling HA on the cluster and re-enabling HA did solve my problem.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just in case you needed one more I can confirm that the solution works for me too!

Stuart

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos