VMware Cloud Community
dtdionne
Contributor
Contributor

Configuration Tab

I feel really dumb asking this but why don't I have a "Configuration Tab" for my guests?

I need to set the "On ESX Server startup, Guest Power options" so that my guests start automatically when the ESX Server Starts and gracefully shutdown when the ESX server is going down or rebooting...and everything I've read says that those settings are on the Configuration Tab for the Guest. When I click on Inventory, then Highlight a guest, I have the following tabs:

Summary

Performance

Tasks & Events

Alarms

Console

Permissions

Maps

I also tried right clicking the host and selecting "Edit Proporties" which is where you make this change on a GSX/VMServer server, but it's not there either. I've checked permissions and I am an administrator as best I can tell....

Thanks much

7 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert

The settings you are looking for are on the Config tab of the ESX host under "Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown".

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

One thing to be aware of with this is VMotion.

If you set your guests into a nice order on the host and set all the power up features and then move a VM to another host, it loses those settings.

It's a feature!

0 Kudos
dtdionne
Contributor
Contributor

wow...i am approaching a top 10 tard moment and feel like a moron...here's a screen cap, and lets try to keep the laughing to chuckling and giggles for now...

http://www.nextworks.com/vmware/vc.gif

What the heck am i missing?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Given that the host is ESX 2.5.x I think you still have to make configuration changes via the server's MUI. You can only manage VMs themselves with VC 2.0.

0 Kudos
ThomasV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One thing to be aware of with this is VMotion.

If you set your guests into a nice order on the host

and set all the power up features and then move a VM

to another host, it loses those settings.

It's a feature!

Yah! I came up to this myself just today... So you can set up orders, but as they vmotion around your cluster they loose their priority? (which ofcourse is normal as you give an order per ESX and not on the cluster as a whole)

But they do remain in the automatic startup folder? so they just loose their priority?

0 Kudos
kaytwentyeight
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed vSphere 5.5 and I cannot find the "Configuration" tab to install my evaluation license.

The instructions I find at VMware online say

"Select the host in the inventory, click the Configuration tab and select Licensed Features. There you will find an Edit... link which opens the licensing window."

Also installed on my host are VMware Workstation 10.0.1 build-1379776

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

What are you using to connect host ? VI Client or Web Client ?

If your using WebClient follow below steps

Click -> Host -> Manage Tab -> Settings -> Licensing

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.