VMware Cloud Community
XRV
Contributor
Contributor

Compliance issues with host profiles when using Syslog.global.logDirUnique

Hello Folks.

I am using host profiles since some time now and never had issues with them.
Bur recently, on a farm, I couldn't use a syslog server to save the esxi logs, so I setup a datastore folder to save the logs.

My problem is that I've set the datastore folder on the host profile and I have alsot set the option Syslog.global.logDirUnique to True.

The hosts create a folder with it's own hostname inside the folder on the datastore correctly. The problem is that on vCenter, the host shows up as non-compliant because the Syslog.global.logDir doesn't correspond to the profile.

How to fix this up?

For more info, these options are set on the host profile and I can see them on the esxi host as well:

Syslog.global.logDir = [sys-01] ESXISysLogs/
Syslog.global.logDirUnique = True

But vCenter detect the Syslog.global.logDir = [sys-01] ESXISysLogs/ESXIHostname for every esxi host.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobFails
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to find a solution for this same issue - @XRV did you ever solve this?

0 Kudos
xiaoyangsun
Contributor
Contributor

I encountered the same issue and googled with no result. seems it's like a bug here

to make it compliant, as a workaround, I changed the logDir manually, to remove the hostname value. after that, check the compliance again and it will show compliant.

any idea how to solve the issue is appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
VM-man1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently running into this issue as well. The host profile just has [datastore name] /log 

But when it's applied at either the host or the cluster level the initial check shows the correct setting, but after remediation when it runs a post compliance check it fails, sighting the value on the host is [datastore name] /log/hostname. 

Along with this I am also seeing two subfolders created under the root folder /log. So it will end up being /log/hostname/hostname after remediation runs. 

It's broke!!

0 Kudos
RobFails
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up just doing a host customization value for the log path - so it would look compliant. 

0 Kudos