VMware Cloud Community
KlinikenLB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Compatibility problems VC2.0.1 with ESX 3.0.1 and ESX 3.0.2 in one cluster?

Has anybody heard about compatibility problems of VC2.0.1 with ESX 3.0.1 and ESX 3.0.2 in one cluster?

My cluster (5 x identical HP DL385G1 with ESX 3.0.1, patches from 31.01.2007) worked well with HA and DRS in VC2.0.1.

Two weeks ago I included a new host (HP DL585G2 with ESX 3.0.2) into this cluster. This host is not ready: VMotion is not active yet because I haven't added the CPU masks in the VMs.

Until now it also seemed to work well: DRS did not take notice for this new host (exept one little thing I posted in another thread).

But in the last two days I had a strange experience: suddenly I could not create new VMs (they queued and timed out, but last week it worked well) or migrate running VMs between my "old" hosts (they also timed out, but the migration seemed to be done).

New start of the VC server did not help. But after switching off DRS everything seemed to be okay again.

Has anybody similar experience? Is it a problem of ESX 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 in one cluster? Or is it because of the not VMotion ready new host?

Regards, Dietmar

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
3 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VC 2.0.2 is required for ESX 3.0.2 as per the release notes...

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/releasenotes_esx302.html#compatibility

0 Kudos
KlinikenLB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. So the VC upgrade will be my next step Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's fairly painless though. Just make sure you read through the release notes, especially the step about creating the tmp/vmware-root directory on each ESX server. Also read through the below thread for more info on it...

VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Upgrade thread - http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=94534&start=0