VMware Cloud Community
interpyme
Contributor
Contributor

Communication between two VM in two different Esxi Host

I have a little problem and I would like to know if it is possible to do this...

I have two esxi host in two different networks (datacenter OVH) and I would like to communicate a VM from one host to another VM to the second host (One is a domain controller for active directory and the other a secondary server for the domain). The problem is with this servers I cannot add more than one physical NIC and I am not sure if I can do this. If I use distributed switch will it work?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Will these two networks be able to talk to each other?

If the two NIC that are in both servers are talking to each other the VM's which talk through them also wil talk to each other.

Distributed switch is not an option as you don't have extra NIC. You will be able to use only standard switches.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
edrimonas
Contributor
Contributor

"If the two NIC that are in both servers are talking to each other the VM's which talk through them also wil talk to each other"

How can we check if the two NIC in both server are talking to each other? I have the same issue, I have only one NIC on each physical ESXi host, I have migrated to distributed switch, the topology image shows that everything is OK, but I cannot ping between two VMs in different hosts.

Can you help?

ThanksCapture.JPG

0 Kudos
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The question sounds more like a networking issue than a vDS issue. if the 2 VMs are on different networks - does that mean they are in different VLANs or do you have a large flat routed network? different Networks/VLANs can only talk to each other over L3 (routing IP). So something has to be in place to tell Network-A how to get to Network-B, this being the Router or Layer-3 Switch. If there is nothing connecting the two networks, then they will not be able to communicate.

0 Kudos
edrimonas
Contributor
Contributor

No, I think it's a vDS issue. As you can see in Capture1 and Capture2, both VM's network adapter 1, is on the same network (the same distributed port group). There are no VLANs and the IPs are in network 192.168.44.0/24 . vyatta is having 192.168.44.44/24 and pfSense 192.168.44.144/24, so they should work through the distributed switch. And actually this is the purpse of having distributed switch. Otherwise I have managed to make them talk each other by setting up VPN tunnel etc. But I do not want such a complex thing, I just want to use the distributed switch. The same deployment but when the two VMs are on the same host is working, when the two VMs are in different ESXi hosts, ping does not work, so I believe this relates to vds.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

0 Kudos
edrimonas
Contributor
Contributor

I am opening a new post related to my specific situation. So I will continue here: Re: vds: No ping between VMs in different ESXi hosts

0 Kudos