VMware Cloud Community
lucheman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Combining Multiple License Files

If I have 3 or 4 different VMware license files, how do I combine them into one license file so that I can point the Flex Licensing server at just that one file?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What version of VC are you running? Latest patch?

If so, you can just put them all into the License folder and the Flex service will read them all in properly.

Or, if you want (need) to combine them, you can take one license file and append everything from below the server config portion, (below "USE_SERVER"), of the remaining files to the first.

Format would be something like:

SERVER this_host ANY 27000

VENDOR VMWARELM port=27010

USE_SERVER

#license 1

INCREMENT PROD_ESX_FULL VMWARELM ....

INCREMENT ESX_FULL_BACKUP ....

INCREMENT VC_ESXHOST VMWARELM ....

#license 2

etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What version of VC are you running? Latest patch?

If so, you can just put them all into the License folder and the Flex service will read them all in properly.

Or, if you want (need) to combine them, you can take one license file and append everything from below the server config portion, (below "USE_SERVER"), of the remaining files to the first.

Format would be something like:

SERVER this_host ANY 27000

VENDOR VMWARELM port=27010

USE_SERVER

#license 1

#license 2

etc.

0 Kudos
lucheman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent, thanks man.

If I installed an earlier version of Virtual Center, can I just download and apply this patch you are referring to? If so, where can I get that patch?

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you're running VC 2.0.1 Patch 2, you're all set. If you don't have a "Licenses" folder under the Program Files\VMware License Server directory, then just download the latest version (2.0.1 Patch2) and apply it. (the "patch" is really a re-install of VC. Just be sure to use the "keep database" option when presented.)

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vc-201-200702-patch.html

Note: You don't need to re-install VC if you don't want. You can just apply the License Server update separately. Its included in the download above. See the "Applicability" section in the above link...

Regards,

J