VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Cold SVMotion doesn't change filenames

Aloha,

According to this - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200887...

if my display name is out of sync with the corresponding folder and filenames, doing a cold SVMotion should rename the folder and filenames the same as the display name. I just tried this, and only the folder name changed. Anyone else having the same problem??

And oh yeah - using 5.0 U1.

Mahalo,

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhillyDubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Kahonu,

Since the KB(1029513) you're referencing applies to earlier versions of ESX/ESXi than just 5, you also see the blurb that cold migration may rename the files. Here is the full text:

KB 1029513

Note: Storage/Cold Storage vMotion or using the console renames only the folder names and not the files in ESXi 5.0. This behavior was changed to support Storage DRS on ESXi 5.0. For more information, see vSphere 5 Storage vMotion does not rename virtual machine files on completing migration (2008877).

A virtual machine's files may be renamed during a disk migration operation, such as Cold Storage Migration, or by manually renaming them in-place from the ESXi/ESX console. Select your preferred method.

Alternatively, a virtual machine could be cloned to a new virtual machine using the Clone method in vCenter Server or using vCenter Converter, and deleting the old virtual machine.

The text starts off by making sure you understand that in ESXi 5.0, the file names are not changed. I agree, the information is a bit ambiguous below and something VMware should clarify by perhaps saying "For previous versions of ESX/ESXi, a virtual machines...".

VCP5

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is a known issue and it's actually explained in the KB article you posted!?

André

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The more I read the more ambiguous it seems. From here - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

I read -

Note: Storage/Cold Storage vMotion or using the  console renames only the folder names and not the files in ESXi 5.0.  This behavior was changed to support Storage DRS on ESXi 5.0. For more  information, see vSphere 5 Storage vMotion does not rename virtual machine files on completing migration (2008877).

A virtual machine's files may be renamed during a disk  migration operation, such as Cold Storage Migration, or by manually  renaming them in-place from the ESXi/ESX console. Select your preferred  method.

So which is it??

0 Kudos
PhillyDubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Kahonu,

Since the KB(1029513) you're referencing applies to earlier versions of ESX/ESXi than just 5, you also see the blurb that cold migration may rename the files. Here is the full text:

KB 1029513

Note: Storage/Cold Storage vMotion or using the console renames only the folder names and not the files in ESXi 5.0. This behavior was changed to support Storage DRS on ESXi 5.0. For more information, see vSphere 5 Storage vMotion does not rename virtual machine files on completing migration (2008877).

A virtual machine's files may be renamed during a disk migration operation, such as Cold Storage Migration, or by manually renaming them in-place from the ESXi/ESX console. Select your preferred method.

Alternatively, a virtual machine could be cloned to a new virtual machine using the Clone method in vCenter Server or using vCenter Converter, and deleting the old virtual machine.

The text starts off by making sure you understand that in ESXi 5.0, the file names are not changed. I agree, the information is a bit ambiguous below and something VMware should clarify by perhaps saying "For previous versions of ESX/ESXi, a virtual machines...".

VCP5
0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Mahalo Phil. I had a feeling it was just poor writing.

Have a good weekend,

Bill

0 Kudos