VMware Cloud Community
bstamper
Contributor
Contributor

Cold Migration creates orphan

OK i just upgrade to VC 2.0.2 yesterday. Today I tried to do a cold migration of a machine. All shut off. Basically wanted to move the files to a new store. When it finished I had an error in the log. "A general system error occured: internal error. Now I have two of the machine and one of them (on the destination store for the migration) is orphaned. I then tried two other servers...both of them are experiancing the same issue. The odd thing is that now if I browse the datastore on that volume that they should have gone onto..there is nothing there. But while they were bing migrated there were folders there.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bstamper
Contributor
Contributor

Also I am able to create a new machine in this store that i'm trying to relocate this VM to. Its the same SAN just a different volume. Everything appears to be correct. Right click the server, migrate, choose the same host its currently on, change the files to the other store and done. It goes all the way thru 100% and says successfull in the task area but then in the events and all it shows that it failed with the error above.

0 Kudos
bstamper
Contributor
Contributor

This is an odd deal. If i try to migrate a machine and leave it on the same host its on and move the files the above issue arises. If I choose the other host the operation works fine. Is this standard operation? Can anyone verify that this is how it works? I presume it should work either way? Maybe something is wrong w/ my setup?

0 Kudos
BryanS
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing the exact same symptoms intermittently when doing cold migrations - also upgraded to VC2.0.2 this week.

Will do some more testing to see if ours too fails consistently when migrating to same host when moving the files to a different datastore.

Will let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
BryanS
Contributor
Contributor

We have just done 2 cold migrations selecting a different host and different datastore and it works successfully.

0 Kudos
bstamper
Contributor
Contributor

Yes choosing a different host seems to be the ticket. If you migrate and leave the machine on the same host it will cause issue.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Also discussed here

It's a problem on VC 2.0.2 and ESX 3.0.1. it is fixed in 3.0.2. It should only be failing about 50% of the time though so just try again.

0 Kudos