VMware Cloud Community
projectja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cloning a running virtual machine, is it possible?

Hi,

Before launching this question, I have been trying to find the answer and to clear myself about this question, the fact is it is not clear for me yet.

I would like to know if technically it is possible to clone a running virutal machine and what are the disadvantages -if there are- of doing with a running vm. Maybe it is better or necesary to shutdown the mv to be cloned.

I have Vcenter 5. I dont know for clone function there is differences between versions of vmware and have been improved in this sense.

I would thanks your help.

Best regards,

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

yes you can clone virtual machine running, you need have vcenter to do it.

if you clone with virtual machine powered off, will complete more fast than running.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

yes you can clone virtual machine running, you need have vcenter to do it.

if you clone with virtual machine powered off, will complete more fast than running.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
projectja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you ver much. I was not sure whether I was doing the right thing, I thought there could be some problems when making clones on the fly. If it is a secure way to do it, perfect.
0 Kudos