VMware Cloud Community
vinny95
Contributor
Contributor

Cloning a VM disallowed because on the failover host

Hi all,

I have done several cloning without any issues but this morning facing one surprisin...

I have a cluster of x hosts (all vSphere 4 u1), with one host configured as a failover host for H/A, DRS is also activated (fully automated mode).

I then try to clone a VM, in the wizard I set a name and choose my cluster...but it automatically choose the host configured as failover so I cannot clone the VM.

"The current operation cannot be performed on the host OO because it has been configured as a failover host for a cluster"

What can I do to clone the VM, without temporarily disabling H/A / DRS ?

thanks,

Vinny

0 Kudos
4 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert

Did u try doing the clone after disabling "Admission Control" i.e. select Disable and then lets see if you are able to clone the VM.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f10

VCP3,VCP4,HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
vinny95
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Ya I am able to clone after disabling admission control Smiley Happy

but I was looking for a way that do not force me to change cluster config => do the clone => re-change cluster config.

Or maybe it is a limitation in vCenter / DRS ?

Vinny

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

I guess its limitation of resources Smiley Happy because when HA is triggered there should be enough resources available on the target host i.e. CPU/Memory.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f10

VCP3,VCP4,HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
vinny95
Contributor
Contributor

Well ressources was OK because :

I cloned my VM, re-configured H/A, stopped my VM.

So I was in the case where my VM could not start on the failover host.

And I was able to start it, without being stopped by H/A constaints.. :smileymischief:

vinny

0 Kudos