VMware Cloud Community
kelvinpapp
Contributor
Contributor

Cloning Question...

A quick question I hope someone can answer...

I have a vCenter Server in Site A, containing datacentre objects for Sites A, B, and C. If I clone a server from datacentre B, to datacentre C, how does the traffic flow? Directly between Service Consoles of site B & C hosts, or proxied via the vCenter in Site A?

It's a theoretical question to be honest, but one I found myself pondering that I don't know the answer to...

Kelvin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Check out this discussion.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
kelvinpapp
Contributor
Contributor

That's great, thanks for the link. I did do a search but obviously wasn't using the right terms!

I think that post confirms my assumption, in that clones will be coordinated by the hosts concerned (i.e. Source/Destination hosts will transfer data between themselves via the Service Console - assuming there is no VAAI involved), but it's not specific in excluding vCenter:

"A cloning between ESXs use also the network (the service console, or the management interface) and, of course, the storage."

Is vCenter only used for VMware Tools & Customisation? How does it keep track of the clone process if it doesn't proxy data?

I have a customer in mind that this could be of interest to - a Head Office site (which houses most infrastructure), with a 20MB MPLS link to two remote sites - both of which host ESX hosts managed by the vCenter at HQ. The two remote sites have a 100MB leased line between them, and would benefit from being able to clone between hosts on either side of the link. If vCenter plays a more active role however, there could be significant consequences from a performance perspective.

I think i'd like to understand the clone process in a little more detail if anyone can help?!

Thanks,

Kelvin

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've cloned VMs between datacenters (physically different locations) with a physical vCenter server at another site. The source traffic load was on the ESX host that "owned" the template, while the destination traffic load was on the one that DRS picked for the clone. I believe that vCenter simply sets up the copy by using it's vpxuser authority and receives updates on the copy progress, but I did not see any significant traffic hitting the vCenter server.

Hope this helps.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
kelvinpapp
Contributor
Contributor

Chris,

That's great - thanks.

Kelvin

0 Kudos