VMware Cloud Community
JasonNTP
Contributor
Contributor

Changing password for vCenter 5 server and ESXi 5 host

Hi

I would like to change the password for vCenter Server 5 and 2x ESXi 5 host. May I know what are the things I need to change? or perhaps the procedure to change?

My vcenter 5 is using SQL2008 express and is not part of the domain. Is in WORKGROUP.

THanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
djradium
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your Vcenter is not part of the domain, then you will most likely be logging into your vcenter with your local admin account on the windows server, changing these credenials of the local admin account will suffice. Or change the password of any other accounts which are in the local administrator group.

You can also set the ESXi 5 passwords via the DCUI

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

JasonNTP wrote:

Hi

I would like to change the password for vCenter Server 5 and 2x ESXi 5 host. May I know what are the things I need to change? or perhaps the procedure to change?

My vcenter 5 is using SQL2008 express and is not part of the domain. Is in WORKGROUP.

THanks in advance.

vcenter server, check for the account for which you have given access, click on your DC on the left hand side and go the permission tab on the right hand pan and check for which account you have permissions on vcenter. Chnage the password as you change it for windows account.

For ESXi, login using ILO, DRAC or RSA get inside the server and there is the option for password change. OR login with putty, use passwd xyz and provide new password.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
JasonNTP
Contributor
Contributor

How about the vmware services in the vcenter? do i need to change it there as well?

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

not at all , provided you are going to start the services with the account which is having complete previllege as you were doing before.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
JasonNTP
Contributor
Contributor

For changing the esxi 5 host password, once I changed it on the console, do I need to disconnect and reconnect it back from the vCenter?

0 Kudos